Jan 11, 2011

cbs?*

The mathematician, physicist and philosopher Pascal wrote, as from the perspective of the person who does not perform any action concerning finding the truth about God:

As I know not whence I come, so I know not whither I do. I only know that on leaving this world I fall for ever into nothingness or into the hands of a wrathful God, without knowing to which of these two states I shall be everlastingly consigned. Such is my condition, full of weakness and uncertainty. From all this I conclude that I ought to spend every day of my life without seeking to know my fate. I might perhaps be able to find a solution to my doubts, but I cannot be bothered to do so, I will not take one step toward its discovery.

quote thanks to this article at 'Be Thinking'

It seems to me that while these options mentioned are not the only logically possible ones, they are the two most significant 'live' options for those in a Western context in particular. For myself, in any case. Either there is no supernatural reality, or there is a God who will judge the world. If the possibility of the latter is at all significant, some time investigating the details is warranted.

*(cbs means "can't be stuffed")

No comments:

Post a Comment