Feb 6, 2010

Haiti's troubles

This blogpost from an Australian left-wing female who happens to be some kind of atheist (I know, I know, maybe it seems like I'm abandoning The Cause, whatever that is) says some interesting things. I don't have huge sympathy for things like the World Bank, but I didn't realise they had such high interest rates or could be painted as such a rip-off! Perhaps a lesson to learn is that corruption and poor standards breed corruption and poor standards and if outside intervention is self-interested (and their goals don't magically align with those of the locals as economists would love to assume), the results can be ugly. Of course, it doesn't follow that trying to promote the economic development of a majority-world nation is evil; just that discernment wrt motivation may assist in true value creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment